The site is www.grooveshark.com and it’s a free music service.
The cool things about this service are;
1. it’s free (always a good argument)
2. it has a TON of music in all sorts of versions (different artists, mixes and remixes) 5 mill + songs
3. the interface is just excellent, totally intuitive. It lets you ‘browse’ the music library just like you do the web, you will be on a journey through music.
4. you can make playlists which you save online and possibly share with friends.
oh yeah, did I mention it’s free 😉 well it is, and it’s totally cool.
There only seem to be one or two drawbacks;
1. it is streaming only, so you can not download music and put it on your favorite mp3 player for road-duty.
2. legality, So, is this legal? Well, to the best of my knowledge no, but hey I am no expert on international IT copyright law. Anyhow the service has existed for some time, and it strikes me as strange that it has not been taken down by a ton of law suits if this was blatantly illegal, my guess would be that it’s in the same gray zone as Youtube etc.
Read more about the story of the site here
This is one of the coolest sites I have discovered for a LONG time… It does by far beat the closest similar service I know of, something called TDC Play (a danish service that require subscription with a specific ISP).